Thursday, September 10, 2015

Eight totally not valid excuses for not getting mental health help

Today is World Suicide Prevention Day. As you know, this is an issue near and dear to my heart.

To celebrate (ha!) I'm going to offer up a brief list of not valid reasons to not get help.

Sometimes people will admit to being in a bad place. They will even admit that they could probably use some help. And yet, at the suggestion of professional help, they balk.

Here are some reasons that I have heard.

This is off the top of my head, and not comprehensive. Because people have lots and lots of excuses. (Of course, I've never been one of those people. Ever. Me?)
  1. My family doesn't do that/would be horrified.
  2. We're Irish.
  3. I already know what my issues are.
  4. I tried once but I was smarter than my therapist.
  5. Everyone knows that shrinks are all crazy.
  6. My friends are all the therapy I need.
  7. I just need X to happen (winter to end/to move to another state/to find a new job/to get married, etc.) and then I'll be happy. 
  8. I'm too busy.
If you think you need help, reach out. You need more than just venting to your friends, who are likely not trained professionals. And even if they are, they're too close to you. You need a not-friend trained professional.

And you need to be honest. If you are not fine--and if you're seeing them for help, you're not--say so. Say life is bleak. Say you hate everything, including yourself. Say whatever your truth is. Because whatever you are feeling is your truth.

If you are scared, and it can certainly be scary, ask someone to go with you and hold your hand. Truly.

Life does not have to be so hard. We don't have to struggle so much. I promise.

If you are in a mentally bad place, tell your primary care physician. Tell a friend who will help you find a therapist or doctor.

If you are in crisis, call the National Suicide Prevention hotline: 1-800-273-8255.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tell me about it.